,m Sean´s Shenanigans: The Quest for Kyrgyzstan

Monday, April 03, 2006

The Quest for Kyrgyzstan

Woke up this morning with the intention of finding the Kyrgyzstan Embassy here. The guy at reception spoke no English so aquired the the help of some woman next door. Her English wasn't much better, but told me to take bus 104 to the south of the city. When I arrived at her designated location, there was no embassy to be seen. Eventually, after a bit of searching I found the Kyrgyzstan Airlines office, a nice man there told me the address and showed me a map. The embassy was in the north of the city. After a bit of walking and busing, I got near the embassy but it was nearly closing time (midday). After running there I found about 100 people standing outside. I decided to join the queue and got talking to a German girl (the only other western there). After about 45mins of waiting and chatting about future destinations, she asked me why I was taking such a circuitous route. Only then did I see the sign clearly - Embassy of Kazakhstan! F&#$ it, i'll have to try again tomorrow morning.
The hostel is pretty ok but there are only two of us here at the moment - am told its the off season. They have a pretty nice TV and I bought a DVD tonite to watch. The DVD (Oscar winner Crash) cost me 10 RMB and a pint bottle of beer 1.6 RMB from the supermarket. All in, came to less than 1.20 euro - not bad. Intenet is only 3 RMB an hour too. My visa will take 7 days, so may stay here a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home