,m Sean´s Shenanigans: The West

Sunday, April 02, 2006

The West

Arrived here in Urumqi after a 3 hour flight from Chengdu this evening. Nearly missed the flight and only got to the check in desk with a minute to go. I had to pick up my e-ticket from a certain desk but couldn't find it for 10 mins. I only knew the time of the flight but had no booking number or airline. After a few hand gestures and a bit of drawing, I eventually located it.
Its was cold and raining when I arrived - reminded me of home. It took me 2 hours to find a place to stay. The places on the Lonely Planet were either closed or no longer offered dorms. I eventually found a new hostel with dorms for 35 RMB an night - no thanks to the taxi driver who dropped me off at the wrong hotel!
All China runs on Beijing time so its dark here 'till after eight in the morning but stays light 'till nearly nine at night. The locals run on their own time (2 hours behind), but offices and transport run on Beijing time. This province used to be 90% Uighurs (locals population) in the '50s but its now about 50-50, with alot of Han Chinese being relocated here from eastern provinces. The majority here in Urumqi are Han while in the countryside still has a Uighur majority. The train track to here was only completed a few years ago, and since then the Han have been flooding in. Its doesn't augur well for Tibet as the train line to Lhasa is completed and due to start transporting people in July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home