,m Sean´s Shenanigans: Alamty

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Alamty

Arrived here from Kyrgyzstan yesterday. It took 9 hours to get from Karakol to Bishkek (I only got an hour or two of sleep thanks to the great leg room on the bus). I then took the 7am minibus to Almaty, thankfully the border crossing was quick and hassle free. The weather here has not been very good, temperatures in the mid teens and raining most of the time. I staying at a hotel over the train station, my room mate is a middle aged guy from Dagestan, Russia (he speaks English like I speak Russian).
The city is pretty modern, Kazakhstan is the richest country here in central Asia due to its oil reserves. Went to Mad Murphys for a pint yesterday, I thought with a name like that there would be a Сork man behind the bar - far from it. Its Kazakh owned and as fake as the rest of them. The prices there are greater than at home, lots of western workers working in the oil industry around topay them. A very nice girl came up and started talking to me. Not sure why she was so interested :) Made her work thought - in the end, she was asking me endless questions about the Irish weather! Poor thing also had her purse stolen earlier during the day. I made her work a little more and then bid her a good day.
Every car in the city is a potential taxi, you just put your hand out and they stop, you tell them your destination, negotiate, and hop in if all goes well. Around the bus station and on some of the main roads you see people holding signs up offering a room for the night, there are also some young ladies without a sign - I don't think they have any spare room :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home