,m Sean´s Shenanigans: Decisions, Decisions

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

Not sure where to go next.
Thought about heading south by flight to Kabul, Afghanistan but there are no flights from here and I would have to fly west to Herat as the road is too dangerous. Then i'd have to worry about Iran.
Uzbekistan is a possibility, but don't know how I would get out - visas for Turkmenistan are hard to get and to come back here i'd need another Kazakh visa.
Could go west to the Caspian Sea and catch a ferry to Baku, Azerbaijan, but i'd need to go to Astana to get a tourist visa ($40), and then head over there. The ferry is quite irregular, leaving port when full, which is usually weekly.
Could go to the north western city of Uralsk (Oral) where there is a Russian Consulate. I can get a Russian transit visa for $60, this would allow me to get a train to Kiev, Ukraine. It would cost $85 for the train and the journey would take 44 hours. But to get to Uralsk, i'd have to briefly cross in to russia and back while on the train - i'm not sure if I need a transit visa for this. Rail lines are all over the place here, they cross over borders and back all the time - a legacy from Soviet times.
I could also get a Russian tourist visa, this would also cost $60, but i'd also have to get a letter of invitation from a travel agent which would cost another $30. I could then take my time going through Russia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home