,m Sean´s Shenanigans: Towards Ukraine it is

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Towards Ukraine it is

Got sick of Almaty, three days of rain! I was soaked walking around. Bought myself a train ticket to the city of Shymkent and arrived here this morning at nine (15 hrs). The weather here is sunny and over 20 degrees. It took me two hours to find a hotel, they are really expensive in Kazakhstan. I managed to get a room for 15oo Tenge in the end. The market is the main attraction in town, and its a pretty impressive. The place is huge, full of winding passage ways and dead-ends. Got my best bowl of laghman yet (for 80T)
Decided to get no visa in the end. Going to try and get to Uralsk by Wednesday next. I'll take my chances with the Russians (the train crosses into Russia for a while on the way to Uralsk). The Russian embassy reopens on Wednesday after some holiday and hopefully the train (to Kiev) goes later in the evening, so I can try and get a transit visa.
As well as getting a visa for here, you have to register your visa within 5 days of your arrival. I went down to the office expecting to pay 800 Tenge, but the guy there just stamped it and gave it back to me. Hope its the correct stamp and that I have no problems further down the line. You are also supposed to register it if you stay in any city more that 72 hrs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home