,m Sean´s Shenanigans: Frugal Living

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Frugal Living

Having to tighten the purse strings here. Trying to limit my spending to $200 a week, which leaves me with $80 after accomodation.

After 9 months of eating out, I have to cook most of my own food now, which is good as the hostel has a really well equiped kitchen. I spent most of my days around Auckland University. I'm using their library to brush up on computing knowledge. They also have copies of the New York & English Times, the Austrialian, and the New Zealand Herald newspapers; which can take quite some time to read most days. I cannot access the Internet from there, but I sometimes save articles to a floppy disk (Internet Cafe) and view them in the library.

I found a little cafe down by the quay that places any food items (sandwiches, fruit, cake) not sold during lunch time, on sale for $1 each at about 3:20pm every week day. Normally they cost about $4, I can highly recommend the marble cake! I some times take the free City Circuit bus from the cafe (on Fort St.) to the University - its a 15 min uphill walk which I don't always feel like.

Drink here is pretty expensive, a Guiness costing $7.50 in the local bar, but with their advertisement in the local newspaper - I can buy 2 for 1. This comes out on Wednesdays, so I grab a few copies.

Dymocks have a sale on at the moment which includes a copy of Bernhard Langer's autobiography for $1 - it must be a mistake :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's your mammy to make your sandwhiches now, eh???

And when scrimping has to be done, there's no better man than you Hearne!!!

11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a Barber training school up the road, may pay them a visit tomorrow - it'll save another $12

5:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home