,m Sean´s Shenanigans: White Mitsubishi

Monday, October 10, 2005

White Mitsubishi

I bought myself an 1986 Mitsubishi Mirage yesterday at the Ellerslie Car market for $725. Its 1.5L and has 166,000 kms on the clock. I bought it from 2 Iraqi brothers from Hamilton who were selling it for their sister - you couldn't make up a story like that! It cost $50 to check the car's history and change the ownership details at the market, so I didn't bother with either - if I can't trust the boys, who can I trust?
I can get the car transferred into my name for $9.20 at the post office. I tried today but I was told I needed my passport as well as my driving license. Since I'm off down to New Plymouth tomorrow (7 hour drive), I may leave it 'till there, no point getting any speeding fines sent to me.
Its the first car that I officially own. I had one in Oz, but accidentally failed/forgot to change the registration into my name - police are still looking for one Eithne O'Reilly, after her car hitch reversed through someone's Hi-Ace van radiator in Alice Springs :)
Car insurance isn't compulsory here! In Australia, its included in your Registration but not here. It costs about $180 for three months 3rd party fire and theft insurance, but the excess is over $1000. I think I'll go without it for the minute. If I hit a Merc, its off to the airport for the first plane home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home