,m Sean´s Shenanigans: Fuel

Monday, December 12, 2005

Fuel

Arrived here in Rotorua tonight and met up with the lads.

Left Taranaki this morning. Mid way through the journey, one of the roads turned into a gravel track. I reckoned from the map that I had about 30km more to go before I got onto a highway. The fuel gauge was reading low and I reckoned that I could fill up at a station on the "highway". Also although I had a spare wheel, I had no jack, which was a worry on a gravel road (not all my tyres are road worthy). When I reached the highway, I got a bit of a shock to see that it too was a gravel road! Looking at a travel guide, it informed me that there were no petrol stations for over 70km in either direction. I decided to drive a bit more, after 20km more I pulled the plug (the fuel light had been on for 40km at this stage and fuel was still over 50km away). I got out with my can and started walking. Luckily after about half an hour I came upon some cockies fixing a fence, one of them drove my back to my car and gave me about 10L of petrol. After that it was all sysyems go. Lesson Learned! Incidentally, the highway was called the "Forgotten Highway".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home