,m Sean´s Shenanigans: Darkest Before Dawn

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Darkest Before Dawn

Have had a pretty ok few days. Here in the town of Uralsk. Took the overnight train from Aktobe last night. With the boundaries of the European continent vague, some say Europe begins after crossing the Ural river (some say the mountains ...). I'm closer to Vienna that Almaty now (which I left 6 days ago) . Its a national holiday here, Victory Day, and the streets are full of people.
Met a guy on the train to Aktobe and stayed with him and his family for the night and day in Aktobe. Wanted to tell his mother that the dinner she cooked was very beautiful, but with my Russian, mixed up and told her that "lunch was small, very small"! Only realised after someone corrected me on the train.
No problems with the Russians getting here (train crossed into Russia and back), have to try and get a transit visa for Russian tomorrow and then hopefully a train ticket for Kiev, Ukraine. I'm staying at the train station, a bed in a dorm is costing me 720 tenge, which is fine by me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home